What issues are arising with project development? (In terms of animation / video production / projection or conceptual issues)
Criteria for Critiquing Projections?
What are some useful criteria for analysing the merits of projected video?
Refining Projects with After Effects
Aside from the resources available at Lynda.com – the next best available tutorials for After Effects are the introduction series at Video Co-Pilot.
See also the Video Co-Pilot series of project tutorials, each project tackling a specific technique, and including the project files for free download.
Animating to sound
Synchronising animation with sound can add a lot of impact to an animation. There is a lot to think about in terms of the audiovisual relationships ( remember that 1+1=3!).
- Reading an audio waveform
- Spotting “hit points” in dialog and music
- Placing markers
- Creating a click track
- Cutting, crossfading, and time-warping video to music
- Timing visual events to music
- Timing animation to music
- Converting audio to keyframes
- Motion sketching to music
(Freesound is a great site for downloading soundscapes for use within animations.)
Fine-Tuning Keyframes and Motion
(from a series of tutorials – about Design in Motion )
- Converting type from Photoshop and Illustrator
- Creating shapes from text
- Using markers in animation
- Editing techniques for graphics
- Using type presets
- Animating type
- Exploring color correction tools
- Building animated textures
- Creating custom vignettes
- Understanding Lights and Material settings
- Adding dynamic transitions
- Rigging cameras for animation
- Working efficiently in 3D space
Q: What are adjustment layers – and how can they be used to save time?
Criteria for Analysing a Projection
– Contextual relevance
– Projector installation and audience consideration
– Video qualities : editing / animation / sound / relationships between all of the above
– Visual composition / engagement / contrast / light levels / use of colour / graphic patterns
– Cinematographic considerations: framing / spatial considerations + depth of field / audience awareness / perspective
– Time and choreography
Week 6: Preparing for Projection Mapping
Week 5: Spatial Design For Video
Week 4: Compositing with After Effects
Week 3: Editing With Premiere
Week 2: Planning for Video
Week 1: Introduction to Video Possibilities